Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding Third Party Notifications and Custom Notifications - vBSocial Notifications

Default Adding Third Party Notifications and Custom Notifications - vBSocial Notifications

This thread will grow over time, through contributions from the community, developers, and our staff. Request, comment on new notifications, and post below. This first thread will be edited.

To add third party notifications, its very easy. Go into vBSocial Notifications in admincp > Notifications Types > Add New Notifications:

Example for submission:

Title:

Content Table Name:
    ContentID Column Name:

Notification Content Text:
    Notification Content Link:

The other fields optional, but be sure to label for other users to copy and paste to add. A good way to get this information is look at Plugin manager > Edit > Existing Install Code. The tables altered, added.
    *Please post questions in forums. If your asking the question, there are probably 15 people thinking it.

• Forum Accounts are different than Membership accounts.
    • Please do not private message support questions to me, unless it is sensitive data. Your questions may help others.
    • For emergencies, and faster support: add me on Skype: Daveaite

Add DBTECH Mentions Notifications to vBSocial Notifications 9.0:

Content Table Name: dbtech_usertag_mention
    ContentID Column Name:postid
    UserId Column Name:mentionedid
    parentID Column Name: (leave blank)
    Extra Column Name:mentionedid
    Group all the notification of this type into one: no
    Notification Content Text: {1) has mentioned you!
    Notification Content Link: showthread.php?p={1}#post{1}

Attachment 133

Add DBTECH Thanks to vBSocial Notifications 9.0:

Content Table Name: dbtech_usertag_newentries
    ContentID Column Name:contentid
    UserId Column Name:recieveduserid
    parentID Column Name: (leave blank)
    Extra Column Name:mentionedid
    Group all the notification of this type into one: no
    Notification Content Text: {1) has liked your post!
    Notification Content Link: showthread.php?p={1}#post{1}

Last edited by daveaite; 04-02-2014 at .
    *Please post questions in forums. If your asking the question, there are probably 15 people thinking it.

• Please do not private message support questions to me, unless it is sensitive data. Your questions may help others.

Did anybody get DBTech advanced user tagging (mentions) working?

I can't make head nor tail of how to do it. Above my skill level!

Quote Originally Posted by enworld View Post
    Did anybody get DBTech advanced user tagging (mentions) working?

I can't make head nor tail of how to do it. Above my skill level!
    +1. If someone gets the chance, please add it to this post. I haven't had the time, but will set some time aside if all else fails

I'd do it myself, but I simply don't have the required skill set. I looked at the adminCP new notification form, and looked at the files supplied with DBTech's product, and saw nothing that resembled the other. I've also asked over at DBTech, but I imagine that since they have their own notification system they aren't going to be in a hurry to provide support for this one.

I'd do it myself, but I simply don't have the required skill set. I looked at the adminCP new notification form, and looked at the files supplied with DBTech's product, and saw nothing that resembled the other. I've also asked over at DBTech, but I imagine that since they have their own notification system they aren't going to be in a hurry to provide support for this one.
    Haha, we'll see. I have a lot of tasks to do, but will keep this on the list if you guys can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by daveaite View Post
    Haha, we'll see. I have a lot of tasks to do, but will keep this on the list if you guys can't figure it out.
    I noticed in another thread that you said that same thing back as far as 2012. If nobody's been able to figure it out in 18 months, they ain't figuring it out any time soon. I think it needs someone like you who is familiar with your product.

I noticed in another thread that you said that same thing back as far as 2012. If nobody's been able to figure it out in 18 months, they ain't figuring it out any time soon. I think it needs someone like you who is familiar with your product.
    Well you may have misread that. The custom notifications feature, where users can add notifications was unavailable in 2012. Its' a recent feature in 9.0 which was released not too long ago. :P

Quote Originally Posted by daveaite View Post
    Well you may have misread that. The custom notifications feature, where users can add notifications was unavailable in 2012. Its' a recent feature in 9.0 which was released not too long ago. :P
    Not the custom notification feature. You said in a thread back in 2012 that you'd be adding dbtech's mention notifications yourself. You have a bunch of other mods already inbuilt and said you'd be adding this one.

But going back to the custom notification feature, I'm still struggling. I've tried every combination possible (I think) in the various fields in the custom notification screen. Some make my site time out, others output nonsense, but I can't find the combination which works. The field labels don't really help. I just entered what seems to be a deadly combination of entries, as my site's just gone down again, as it frequently does when I try to guess what these values should be.

Could you help, please? I can't keep crashing my site for 30 minutes a time by guessing wrong. Actually, this time it's been down for half a day and counting. That's not a situation that can continue (and wouldn't matter if vbsocial's mentions system actually worked).

Grrr. I just lost several hours of downtime because I'm forced to guess at these settings. Getting it wrong is *painful* and *expensive*. Sorry, man. You can't leave it to us to figure out. You know how your product works; we don't.

Please, please, jsut provide the correct settings. You can grab the free dtech mod and look at it if you need to.

Alternatively, fix your own mention/tagging system so it works. Then I'll disable the dbtech one. But the problem right now is that your mod disables existing notifications, and so disabling the existing mention notification without a working replacement is a reduction in functionality.

You can't be adding this stuff to a vague future v10 update in several months while offering a period subscription product. You've had $99 already. You gotta sort this out, dude, and fast. Sorry. I don't mean to be harsh, but I do feel it's necessary to impress on you that this stuff affects people.